Saturday, September 26, 2009

Frugal Healthy Recipe: Tuna, Beans and Pasta with Veggies

I make a version of this healthy pasta, fish and vegetable medley from time to time. It feeds the two of us for several dinners. I don't know exactly how much it costs because I rarely shop for all the ingredients at the same time, but it's inexpensive, and pretty healthy.

Feeds 4-6 people
Saute in olive oil (probably about a tablespoon and a half) the following:
1 small yellow onion, diced
4 large cloves of garlic, crushed
black pepper, cracked, to taste
red pepper flakes, to taste, can omit if you don't like spicy food
green herbs (any will do). Yesterday I put about 1/2 teaspoon each of these dried ones:
oregano
thyme
sage
basil
rosemary
After the onions have cooked to translucent and this whole mixture is quite fragrant, add a bag of frozen mixed vegetables. Stir to mix with the spice mixture and cook for a few minutes.
Add:
a small can of black eyed peas, rinsed and drained
2 small cans of tuna in water, drained
1 large can of whole peeled tomatoes. I crush them in my hands. You can also dice them. I discard the liquid or save for another meal.
1 tablespoon of sweet light miso
1/4 to 1/3 cup of beer, any will do
1 small can of Campbell's condensed mushroom soup. I used the one that has garlic in it.
Stir, cook with lid on for a few minutes, then add 1 lb of cooked and drained whole wheat pasta. I used penne.

Voila! A healthy, frugal meal in minutes.